School/Organization: Van Buren Elementary
Project Leader: Candyce
Description: Van Buren Elementary is at Title-1 school located on the Westside of town and serves approximately 360 students from grades PK - 5. CR netWORK partnered with Physical Education teacher, Tom Hodges, to institute a golf program at Van Buren.
The $700 CR netWORK grant will payed for the supplies needed to build a 9-hole mini-golf course. This introduced students to the game of golf and provided them with exposure they may not be able to obtain elsewhere.
Why golf? Golf is one of the best teaching tools there is. Golf:
• Teaches math (scoring)
• Teaches boundaries through observation of and compliance to the rules
• Encourages good behavior (following proper etiquette)
• Helps develop and improve eye/hand/body coordination as well as concentration
• Provides a means for socialization with people of all ages
• Builds self-esteem and confidence. It doesn't take much physical ability to putt a ball and there's almost always a sense of accomplishment in hearing a ball hit the bottom of a cup.
The 9-hole mini-golf course at Van Buren accomplished all of the above. Pitching wedges have already been donated by Ellis Golf Course.
Total Money Given: