School/Organization: YMCA SWITCH Program
Project Leader: Chad Spore
Description: The YMCA requested $1,000 for our Switch program. The Switch program is a school-based wellness program that focuses on three key messages.
Switch what you do, Switch what you view, Switch what you chew. We provide the program in schools with a high percentage of students that qualify for free or reduced price lunch. The 2012-2013 Switch program achieved the following results:
• 51% of participants said they watched less television
• 70% of participants said they consumed more fruits and vegetables
• 72% said they participated in more physical
The goals of the program are to:
• Increase physical activity to 60 minutes or more per day
• Decrease screen-time (TV, video games, internet, texting) to less than 2 hours per day
• Increase the consumption of fruits and vegetables to five or more servings per day
As part of the program, children track their time spent being active, engaging in screen time and the number of fruits and vegetables they eat each day. Each child participating in the program receives a pedometer which allows them to track their daily steps. They also receive healthy incentives for continuing their participation in the program. Incentives include: jump ropes, water bottles, etc.
Total Money Given: