School/Organization: Van Buren Elementary
Project Leader: Chad Spore
Description: The iPads are used by students. The iPads are a key tool for enhancing student learning in a manner that is differentiated and highly engaging. With the Iowa Core standards being the driving force of what teachers want students to learn, they explored Apps that directly target those standards.
Throughout the school day there are many opportunities for students to work on independent quality application activities. iPad Apps will be added to the current menu of independent learning opportunities.
Below is a list of Apps that students will have the opportunity to use:
• Vocabulary Spelling City: This app allows students to practice our weekly spelling words in a variety of ways. It includes practice spelling tests, Hang Mouse (choose letters to go on blank lines to try to figure out the word), Teach Me (words are spelled aloud and a sentence is given), Match It (match a sentence with the word), Which Word (choose a word that fits in a sentence), Sentence Unscramble (putting a sentence in order so it makes sense).
• Access My Library - School Edition: An App enabling students to access online resources from our library. Students could do research for reports, learn more about topics that interest them, or gather additional information on topics we are covering in science and social studies.
• Pocket Phonics: This App focuses on letters, sounds, and letter writing.
• Encyclopedia Britannica: Students can gather information about topics for research or learn more about something that interests them.
• Merriam-Webster: Students can learn basic dictionary skills through this App such as information that is given (part of speech, pronunciation, etc.) and the organization (alphabetical order).
• Splash Math - This is an outstanding App that covers a range of skills in math. It identifies the targeted skill at the top of the screen, followed by the question, and then the possible answer choices. It progresses through different levels. In addition to this, it offers to send weekly reports to parents of their child's progress.
• Counting Money - There are many free apps related to counting money, but this is one that appeared user-friendly.
• Flash To Pass Free - This App offers a wonderful opportunity for students to work on math facts and progress to different levels.
• Rounding Numbers or Chicken Vault - These Apps offer students practice with rounding numbers.
• Tell Time Lite - Students practice telling time and showing time on a clock.
• U.S. Presidents: Students can get very kid-friendly information about all of the presidents.
• TapQuiz Maps: This App offers quizzes on different regions of the word.
Total Money Given: